Mon - Fri 8:30am-5:00pm604-638-3302 604-608-5482 Contact us for a free consultation

Intra Company Transfer

Make Canada Your Home

What is Intra Company Transfer?

The International Mobility Program offers a pathway for qualified foreign business owners to transfer their businesses to Canada and obtain a work permit through the ICT program. With the ICT pathway, you can obtain an ICT Work Permit and eventually permanent residency (PR). Generally, the spouse and children of the principal applicant will receive open work permits and study permits.

Intra Company Transfer Canada Requirements

Entrepreneurs who own successful businesses in their home countries can apply for the ICT WP to expand their business to Canada.

There are several additional requirements that entrepreneurs must meet in order to secure a work permit under the ICT program, including the following:

  • The home company must be operational for at least 12 months (but ideally for at least 3 years) before expansion to Canada;
  • The home company must be financially sound and capable of supporting foreign operations in Canada;
  • The applicant seeking an ICT WP must be working/engaged with the home company for at least 12 months in the past three years prior to the immigration application;
  • The home company must be related to the company in Canada as a parent, subsidiary, or affiliate company; and
  • Canadian operations will be a viable enterprise and result in job creation for Canadians.

If it is an initial expansion to Canada of a foreign company, for companies expanding to Canada for the first time, it is critical to present a solid business case and explain the rationale for expansion in addition to meeting basic eligibility criteria for the ICT applications.

How to Apply for Intra Company Transfer Work Permit?

It is mandatory for applicants to confirm that they meet the eligibility criteria for a particular immigration program in Canada before they can apply. Applicants must also develop a solid strategy on how to present their case to the Canadian immigration authorities. 

It is important to note that the process varies greatly depending on the applicant’s nationality. Some countries benefit from having agreements with Canada, which allows their citizens a more lenient immigration journey under the ICT.

In cases where the applicant is a citizen of a visa-exempt country, it may be possible for them to apply for an ICT WP at the port of entry (POE).

Contact us to learn more.

Our Services

Want to Chat?

Feel free to call us or email us.

Call Ronald
Email Ronald

Get in Touch